We all know that the universe comprised of five elements: Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and Sky. Water carries nutrients to all cells in our body and oxygen to our brain. Water helps to regulate body temperature. Water is an important resource from mother earth given to us human beings.
Water is necessary for life. Its consumption is more when it comes to domestic, agricultural and industrial use. When one stares out at the ocean or turn on the kitchen faucet, it is easy to believe that water is an infinite resource.
JPIC move on water consumption and waste has helped us to become aware and alert of the use of water.
Some of the actions by the community towards water consumption and waste:
- Collecting water in the basins to wash the utensils.
- Washing fruits and veggies in a bowl of water than washing them under the running tap;
- Reducing the use of water while cleaning the house and surroundings;
- Becoming conscious while opening and closing water taps;
- Saving water by using mug when brushing teeth or washing face;
- Instead of hosepipe, using water cans for the kitchen garden. (A hosepipe uses 1,000 litres of water per hour);
- After washing the clothes (hand-wash), using the same water to clean the surroundings;
- Weekly checking up of pipelines, lavatories, and taps to reduce water wastage.
Besides these, the community members prepared paintings and slogans which were later displayed on the community and school notice boards. Respect water in all forms to avoid disaster, Waste water today - live in a desert tomorrow, Water is life were some of the captions.
S. Sadhana D’cruz